We heated up some hyde glue while also gently heating up the broken section of the headstock. After the glue was the right temperature and the neck was warm we made a 50/50 mixture of glue and hot water. Injecting the thin glue into the deep cracks and adding thicker glue after. The break was then clamped with form fit cauls and left to dry. Once the glue has dried it is then tested for strength. After passing the strength test the finish work begins. This lined up pretty nice, but we wanted the repair to be invisible. Air brushing the tones of the wood and drawing in the grain left a nearly invisible repair.
- Here’s an interesting one that I’m finishing up today. 64 Pbass that came in for a refret. While lubricating the truss rod I noticed that it had become unattached from the anchor. The big surprise was the copper plating on the truss rod! After removing a section of rosewood and repairing the truss rod it was on to sliding out the original frets and installing new ones! Please note that those file marks in the neck are from the previous work someone did stripping the neck...😠I refinished the body for this 2 or 3 years ago to a slightly ambered Olympic white.